Rafael Nadal withdrew from one of his most successful tournaments, the open frenchand announced Thursday that he has not yet recovered from a lingering hip injury suffered earlier this year.

the 36 year old professional tennis he also announced that the 2024 season would likely be his last on the ATP Tour.

Rafael Nadal celebrates a victory

Rafael Nadal celebrates victory in his first round singles match against Jack Draper during day one of the 2023 Australian Open at Melbourne Park on January 16, 2023 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Andy Cheung/Getty Images)

The announcement was made during a press conference at his tennis academy in Spain on Thursday.

NICK KYRGIOS WITHDRAWS FRENCH OPEN AFTER SUFFERING FOOT INJURY DURING ARMED CAR ROBBERY: REPORT

Nadal did not offer a timetable for his return but said he could miss anywhere from one to four months, suggesting he may not return in time for Wimbledon in July.

«I’m not going to be able to play at Roland Garros. I’ve been working as much as I could every day for the last four months. [they] It’s been very difficult months because we weren’t able to find a solution to the problem he had in Australia.»

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Nadal has won the French Open a record 14 times and has a career record of 112-3 in 18 French Open appearances. He became the oldest champion in the tournament’s history when he won last year at age 36.

Rafael Nadal lifts French Open title

Rafael Nadal lifts the trophy after winning the final match against Casper Ruud in three sets, 6-3, 6-3, 6-0, at the French Open tennis tournament at Roland Garros stadium in Paris on Sunday, April 5. June 2022. (AP Photo/Christophe Ena)

«I need to stop, I need to stop for a while,» Nadal continued. «I don’t know when I’ll be able to get back on the practice court. But I’m going to stop for a while, maybe two months, maybe a month and a half, maybe three months, maybe four.» months, I don’t know.»

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Nadal said the aim of this break is to allow his body to heal in time for next season, which he said will «probably be my last year on the professional tour.»

Rafael Nadal exits the Australian Open

Rafael Nadal greets spectators after his men’s singles second round match against Mackenzie McDonald at the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne, Australia on January 18, 2023. (Bai Xuefei/Xinhua via Getty Images)

Nadal last played in the second round of the australian open on January 18 when he lost to Mackie McDonald. He suffered a hip injury that sidelined the former world No. 1 for several months, leading him to miss the clay-court opener of the season.

Associated Press contributed to this report.